Saturday, January 3, 2009

I'm "All the News That's Fit to Print" and an insufferable showboat


Well, as I mentioned before, I won this. The whole story is here. I thought it was all over after Fine Books & Collections Magazine announced the winner of the 2008 contest. Then in mid-November, I was contacted by a NYT reporter. They were looking for students with "unusual" collections for their Education Life section. Physics textbooks appears to have fit the bill. The end result of the phone interview and photo shoot by a local photographer are two slides in their Trendsetting: Collectors' Items slide show.

In retrospect, I wish I would have made my Landau & Lifshitz's Course, Feynman's Lectures, or Sommerfeld's Lectures standout more in the photographs. On the other hand, you can see one of my dad's book on the right stack of books. Unfortunately, I didn't have his other book for the photo shoot. The other books in the photo are (left stack):
  1. Magnetic Induction in Iron and Other Metals by J.A. Ewing
  2. Quarks & Leptons by Francis Halzen & Alan D. Martin
  3. An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory by M.E. Peskin & D.V. Schroeder
  4. Relativistic Quantum Mechanics by J.D. Bjorken & S.D. Drell
  5. Relativistic Quantum Fields by J.D. Bjorken & S.D. Drell
  6. Relativistische Elektronen - Theorie II by E.M. Rose
  7. Relativistische Elektronen - Theorie I by E.M. Rose
  8. Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Raymond A. Serway
  9. Physics,Vol 1 by James S. Walker
  10. Physics by Douglas C. Giancoli
  11. Physics by Eugene Hecht
  12. Introduction to Nuclear Physics by Harold A. Enge
  13. Nuclear Shell Theory by A. de-Shalit and I. Taimi
The book that I'm "reading" is The Radio Engineering Handbook edited by K. Henney and the other books are (right stack):
  1. Atom-Photon Interactions by C. Cohen-Tannoudji, J. Dupont-Roc, & G. Grynberg
  2. Photons and Atoms by by C. Cohen-Tannoudji, J. Dupont-Roc, & G. Grynberg
  3. Quantum Electronics by Amnon Yariv
  4. Statistical Optics by Joseph W. Goodman
  5. Thermal Field Theory by Michel Le Bellac
  6. Elementary Particles by Enrico Fermi
  7. Statistical Mechanics by Richard E. Wilde & Surjit Singh
  8. Statistical Mechanics by Raj K. Pathria
  9. An Introduction to Quarks and Partons by Frank E. Close
  10. High Energy Particles by Bruno Rossi
  11. Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell by A. Zee
  12. Selected Papers on Quantum Electrodynamics by J. Schwinger
  13. Modern Elementary Particle Physics by Gordon L. Kane
  14. The Quantum Theory of Radiation by W. Heitler
An amusing side note: during the photo shoot, they wanted me to pose with one of my older "antique" looking books. Having "antique" books is not the point of the collection, but luckily I had a few that looked old.

No comments: